It is Juneteenth, the 19th day of June–which is a holiday that celebrates the emancipation of the enslaved people in the United States. Slavery is a terrible blood-stained part of this country’s history. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which declared as of the date January 1, 1863, all enslaved people in the United States, and without exception, “shall be thenceforward, and forever free.” Remember, we are all children of God!
Happy Juneteenth ! ! !
A prayer and a moment of silence…
A Brief History:
Premise: The bearing news of the emancipation proclamation, and two years after the emancipation proclamation was put into law.
When: First on June 19, 1865 — Then 6/17/21, the federal holiday abroad was declared to be in effect every year, which started June 19, 2021!
Who: General Gordon Granger and President Abraham Lincoln in 1865; Congress in 1867 — Then the federal holiday by President Joseph Biden in 2021. This gives Juneteenth the same status as Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day and all other federal holidays.
Where: Galveston, Texas.
Other Names: Known as “Freedom Day”, “Jubilee Day”, “Liberation Day”, “Black Independence Day” ,and “Emancipation Day” (in Texas).
A Few Facts:
I am sharing a few facts, and more, some trivia, some not trivial. . .
- It is called Juneteenth to represent both “June” and “Nineteenth”
- All states must observe the holiday as of this year
- Some traditions include:
- Public readings of the Emancipation Proclamation
- Singing traditional songs such as “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” and “Lift Every Voice and Sing”
- Reading of works by noted African-American writers, such as Ralph Ellison and Maya Angelou
- Celebrations: rodeos, street fairs, cookouts, family reunions, park parties, historical reenactments, and Miss Juneteenth contests
- More. . .
Celebration for the second year. The legacy can continue. . .
We will NEVER, ever forget the heritage of every person!
#Juneteenth #HappyJuneteenth #JuneteenthCelebration #Freedom #FreedomDay #JubileeDay #LiberationDay #BlackIndependenceDay #EmancipationDay #Love #BlackHistory #BlackExcellence #BlackLove #BlackBusiness #SupportBlackBusiness #BlackPower #BlackCulture