THE 2022 Winter Olympics!!! (2022)
The Winter Olympics! The best of luck to all involved. . .
A Brief History on the Olympics:
Founded in Ancient Times: Their creation was inspired by the ancient Olympic Games that were held in Olympia, Greece starting in the 8th century B.C. into the 4th century A.D.
More Recent Founding: Baron Pierre de Coubertin founded the International Olympic Committee in the year 1894, leading to the creation of the first modern Games, which were held in Athens in the year 1896.
Where: All around the world, almost every country in the world has some type of participation. Usually not by government within the country, but an Olympic committee that is set inside each participating country.
When: Every 4 years on even years. Most recently the Winter Olympics are offset by two years from the Summer Olympics by a year and one-half. The four-year interval between the Ancient Games editions were named an “Olympiad”. The 1994 Winter Olympics, held in Norway, were the year that the first Winter Games to be held in a different year from the Summer Games, changing them from being all held just six months apart thereafter. Only a two year period was placed between the Winter Olympics upon placement of the offset.
This Year’s Event: It is The 2022 Winter Olympics, officially “the Games of the XXIV Winter Olympiad”, held from February 4th to February 20h in Beijing, China.
A Few Facts:
I am sharing a few facts, and more, some trivia, some not trivial. . .
More Olympic Facts:
The Dates That Mattered:
- Athens, Greece. April 6-15, 1896.
- Berlin, Germany. CANCELLED in the year 1916 due to “War of the Worlds”.
- Chamonix, France, January 25-February 4, 1924 was the first Winter Olympics.
- Tokyo, Japan CANCELLED in the year 1940 due to World War II.
- London, England CANCELLED in the year 1944 due to World War II.
- NO Winter Olympics scheduled in the years 1940 & 1944 due to World War II.
- Moscow, Soviet Union, July 19-August 3, 1980 were boycotted by many countries due to the invasion of Afghanistan.
- Albertville, France, February 8-23, 1992 were the last Winter Olympics in the same year as the Summer Olympics.
- Tokyo, Japan, 2020 Summer Olympics were delayed until today due to COVID-19.
- The 2022 Winter Olympics now, as scheduled.
Most Recent Events:
- Sochi, Russia, February 7-23, 2014.
- Pyeongchang, South Korea, February 9-25, 2018.
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 5-21, 2016.
- Tokyo, Japan, Today, July 23-August 8, 2021
- This year’s event: Now, Beijing, China, February 4-February 20, 2021
- Original Nine Winter Olympic Categories:
- Ice hockey
- Nordic skiing
- Cross-country skiing
- Nordic combined
- Ski jumping
- Figure skating
- Speed skating
- Added Sporting Events to the Olympic Categories:
- Alpine skiing
- Short track speed skating
- Freestyle skiing
- Demonstration Sports (Never Incorporated as Olympic Sports):
- Speed skiing
- Original Nine Winter Olympic Categories:
Worldwide: The Olympics are an accomplishment and a blessing for everyone, including the winners.
In Greek: Ὀλυμπιακοί Ἀγῶνες
FREEBIES & DEALS For The Olympics:
○ FREE Olympics: Fonts
○ FREE Olympics: Crafts + Printables
○ FREE Olympics: Sheet Music: Certain Products, Membership Required
○ FREE Olympics: Ideas, Crafts & Worksheets
○ FREE Olympics: AT “Hey It’s Free”
#Olympics #Olympic #WinterOlympics #Sports #Sport #Athlete #Athletics #Athletes #OlympicGames #Olympiad #USA #Champion #TeamUSA #WorldChampion #Medal #Gold #GoldMedal #Silver #SilverMedal #Bronze #BronzeMedal #Fitness #Training #Bobsleigh #Curling #IceHockey #NordicSkiing #CrossCountrySkiing #NordicCombined #SkiJumping #FigureSkating #SpeedSkating #AlpineSkiing #Luge #ShortTrackSpeedSkating #FreestyleSkiing #Skeleton #Snowboarding #Olympia #OlympiaGreece
THE 2022 WINTer Olympics!!! (2022)
Usually this is a time that the persons who have been training for years compete freely. These people have been training for a great portion of the last few years, and deserve their time in the spotlight. Usually it is a holiday for everyone except the spectator, but most importantly, the safety of those involved in putting their lives into their sportsmanship. There will be no audience allowed at the games because of a virus that allegedly was caused by the country that the Olympics are taking place in. All politics aside, I disagree with the decision to follow through and subject not only the U.S. athletes and their teams and all families involved, and all countries in the world–to the mercy of their lives and peace to the whim of the Chinese government, which is possibly getting ready to go to war with a lot of countries in the world. For the I.O.C. to act like nothing is going on and subject these persons to less than fair treatment and offer no sanctions is just not right. I, however, do not agree that my own opinion of the matter should reflect on not showing the statistics as usual, because these professionals always work very hard at their competitions. I pray that nothing happens to these people. The reasoning behind the black and white flag is not due to disrespect, but actually respect. . .to honor the athletes and the danger they have been subject to at this Olympic event.