Happy 2020 Summer Olympics!!! (2021)
The Summer Olympics! Better late than never, so the persons who have been training for years can compete. The people have been training for a great portion of the last few years, and deserve their time in the spotlight. It is a holiday for everyone except the spectator, but most importantly, the safety of those involved in putting their lives into their sportsmanship. There will be no audience allowed at the games. The best of luck to all involved. . .
A Brief History on the Olympics:
Founded in Ancient Times: Their creation was inspired by the ancient Olympic Games that were held in Olympia, Greece starting in the 8th century B.C. into the 4th century A.D.
More Recent Founding: Baron Pierre de Coubertin founded the International Olympic Committee in the year 1894, leading to the creation of the first modern Games, which were held in Athens in the year 1896.
Where: All around the world, almost every country in the world has some type of participation. Usually not by government within the country, but an Olympic committee that is set inside each participating country.
When: Every 4 years on even years. Most recently the Winter Olympics are offset by two years from the Summer Olympics by a year and one-half. The four-year interval between the Ancient Games editions were named an “Olympiad”. The 1994 Winter Olympics, held in Norway, were the year that the first Winter Games to be held in a different year from the Summer Games, changing them from being all held just six months apart thereafter. Only a two year period was placed between the Winter Olympics upon placement of the offset.
This Year’s Event: It is The 2020 Summer Olympics, officially “the Games of the XXXII Olympiad”, branded as “Tokyo 2020”, held from today, July 23rd to August 8th in Tokyo, Japan at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo. Mascot this year is Miraitowa. The games are a year late, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This is the first set of Olympic Games to ever be celebrated on an odd year. The games were supposed to be in 2020, but were moved to this summer, for safety reasons. Therefore for the first time since the offset in 1994, games are scheduled to be this coming winter, only in six months.
A Few Facts:
I am sharing a few facts, and more, some trivia, some not trivial. . .
More Olympic Facts:
The Dates That Mattered:
- Athens, Greece. April 6-15, 1896.
- Berlin, Germany. CANCELLED in the year 1916 due to “War of the Worlds”.
- Chamonix, France, January 25-February 4, 1924 was the first Winter Olympics.
- Tokyo, Japan CANCELLED in the year 1940 due to World War II.
- London, England CANCELLED in the year 1944 due to World War II.
- NO Winter Olympics scheduled in the years 1940 & 1944 due to World War II.
- Moscow, Soviet Union, July 19-August 3, 1980 were boycotted by many countries due to the invasion of Afghanistan.
- Albertville, France, February 8-23, 1992 were the last Winter Olympics in the same year as the Summer Olympics.
- Tokyo, Japan, 2020 Summer Olympics were delayed until today due to COVID-19.
Most Recent Events:
- Sochi, Russia, February 7-23, 2014.
- Pyeongchang, South Korea, February 9-25, 2018.
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 5-21, 2016.
- This year’s event: Tokyo, Japan, Today, July 23-August 8, 2021
- More will be revealed. . .
- Category A includes 3 sports — Athletics, Aquatics, Gymnastics
- Category B includes 5 sports — Basketball, Cycling, Football, Tennis, Volleyball
- Category C includes 8 sports — Archery, Badminton, Boxing, Judo, Rowing, Shooting, Table-tennis, Weightlifting
- Category D includes 9 sports — Canoe/Kayaking, Equestrian, Fencing, Handball, Field-hockey, Sailing, Taekwondo, Triathlon, Wrestling
Worldwide: The Olympics are an accomplishment and a blessing for everyone, including the winners.
In Greek: Ὀλυμπιακοί Ἀγῶνες
FREEBIES & DEALS For The Olympics:
○ FREE Olympics: Fonts
○ FREE Olympics: Crafts + Printables
○ FREE Olympics: Sheet Music: Certain Products, Membership Required
○ FREE Olympics: Ideas, Crafts & Worksheets
○ FREE Olympics: AT “Hey It’s Free”
#Olympics #Olympic #SummerOlympics #Tokyo #Japan #Sports #Sport #Athlete #Athletics #Athletes #OlympicGames #Olympiad #USA #Champion #TeamUSA #WorldChampion #Medal #Gold #GoldMedal #Silver #SilverMedal #Bronze #BronzeMedal #Fitness #Training #Aquatics #Swimming #Gymnastics #Basketball #Cycling #Football #Tennis #Volleyball #Archery #Badminton #Boxing #Karate #Judo #Rowing #Shooting #TableTennis #Weightlifting #Canoeing #Kayaking #Equestrian #Fencing #Handball #FieldHockey #Sailing #Taekwondo #Triathlon #Running #TrackAndField #Wrestling #Olympia #OlympiaGreece
Happy 2020 Summer Olympics!!! (2021)
3 thoughts on “Happy 2020 Summer Olympics – 2021”
Lots of interesting information Saw pictures of Jill Biden there today. It is sad so much going on with COVID and so many people not able to watch it live
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing! I haven’t watched the Olympics in so long.
Yay for the Olympics!! Thanks for sharing all about it!