It’s always scam season, the season that never goes away or quits! Now there is a phishing scheme with the name “Emmett Ryker Otis”, a selected claim officer connected with Audi (car manufacturer). The scam IS verified by www.scamguard.com as being fictitious. You receive an email that looks like this:
EXAMPLE OF THE ATTACHMENT IN THE EMAIL:
NEVER, ever open an email from an unknown sender with NO message or body and just an attachment. I did not open the attachment in the traditional method. I printed it to image for everyone to see, so that Google mails servers were the only compromise, NOT my computers. downloading it to your phone or computer can open them up to all sorts or worms, bugs, Trojans, and/or viruses. Phishers stalk people hoping that you open enclosures that can have more than the attachment that you think that you are downloading. I am keeping my eye out for more of these and will keep you informed. Keep in mind:
- Don’t ever respond to an email like these
- Don’t ever open up an attachment from someone you do not know, or if you are not expecting one.
- Toss emails into the spam folder, do not just delete them. Suspicious emails should be moved to the spam folder individually to label a preference that further emails be moved there on a permanent basis.
- Don’t think you won a prize if you did not enter the giveaway or sweepstakes connected to that prize.
- Never give vulnerable information over the internet unless the 🔒 symbol is in the browser bar. Also make sure that the internet destination is “https://???.com” NOT “http://???.com“. The “S” which is the 5th letter on the browser bar stands for “secured”.
These persons catch you off guard with an attachment with a prize or winning attached, while they are really very malicious persons who mean to damage you financially and even many other ways, ways that are not so pleasant.